Friday 14 December 2018

Aber Boys Overseas


There is something about Aberystwyth, the small magical, end of the line town.

In every conversation one has about Aberystwyth, with so many people, the wonderful thing that comes across is the feeling of welcome and love, and how magically Aberystwyth embraces those who come to live in it. All these sentiments, and more, can be found between the words in the letters written by Aber Men serving abroad during WW1 in acknowledgment of parcels they received from the people of  Aberystwyth.

These are some of them:


THOMAS JAMES, R.N. 
"It is good of you and Aber. friends to think of us in these hard times. Believe me that such thoughts make us feel proud that we are Aberystwythians."




Private G.M.HAMMOND, Egypt - "Every time I smoke the cigs. my mind is turned to Aber. and to its kind people. I shared the cigs. between my mates who wished they came from Aber."


J.R. DAVIS, France 
"I shall always remember the warm spirit which prompted the good Aber friends to think of me, and I hope soon to be among them. I shall always remember your kind words of cheer."



H.W.STEPHENSON, France- "We are grateful to you because it is not every town that look after its boys like you and Aber. friends are doing."


Private, HINTON JONES, France
"We Aber. boys are deeply indebted to you for your continued efforts on our behalf and to the people of Aber. for generously responding to your appeals thus assuring us a regular supply of smokes. We shall never forget it. The thought of having such good friends at home makes things much easier to bear out here. I am quite proud of Aber’s part in the war. 
We are not behind with the honours. I know that Aber was well represented in the last “great push.”  I assure you that the time is not far off when we shall all meet together in Aber. Y.M.C.A., which is our every thought."


GWILYM JONES, France- "It is indeed a great help and lift when we realize that friends at home are thinking of us. The thought that you are doing your share tends to lighten our trials and give us strength."


Lance-Corpl. E.D. ROWLANDS, France
"I am very proud of the good work you have done in connection with the Y.M.C.A . and only hope I shall soon be with you to help along with it. I am sure all the boys will be delighted to see the good old building when they return. I am writing this note not far from Fritz. 
What a contrast from a week to day when I was walking along the dear old prom. Cheer up, we shall not be long now. May the good Lord be always with you and help you with your good work."

Those were the people from Aberystwyth supporting each other in the darkest days of the Great War, sending their care, kindness, love and thoughts to their soldiers.

Those were the Aber Men in the battlefield appreciating their townsfolk and feeling proud of their town. 

And this is the spirit of Aberystwyth and the nectar of love which it spread among its people.

Blog by Ruby Radwan, project volunteer

Sources:
The Comforts Fund letters, NLW
The Cambrian News
Images courtesy of  West Wales War Memorial project



 

No comments:

Post a Comment